With September just around the corner, the St. Tammany Parish Library is gearing up for an assortment of genealogy and technology learning opportunities.
Genealogy Time is a chance to get questions answered one-on-one with a genealogy-trained librarian. Register online at stpl.bibliocommons.com/events, and the genealogy librarian will call to schedule an appointment. Times slots are available on these dates:
- 2 pm to 4 pm, Sept. 6, at the Pearl River Branch Library, 64580 LA 41.
- 4 pm to 8 pm, Sept. 21, at the Folsom Branch Library, 82393 Railroad Ave.
- 1 pm to 5 pm, Sept. 28, at the Lee Road Branch Library, 79213 LA. 40.
For computer users already familiar with the basics of Microsoft Word, Intermediate Microsoft Word teaches even more options for formatting text in the document, including indents, spacing, changing page layout, inserting columns, creating lists and more in this hands-on intermediate level class . The class will be held at 3 pm on Sept. 15 at the Madisonville Branch Library, 1123 Main St.
The ever-popular Tech Time will provide help to set up devices, take photos and install apps. During Tech Time, librarians will be available for one-on-one help with technology troubles. Register online, and the librarian will call to schedule a 30-minute time slot. For those unable to attend, make an appointment to speak with a reference librarian. Time slots will be available from:
- 2 pm to 6 pm, Sept. 13 at the Lacombe Branch Library, 28027 LA 190.
- 2 pm to 6 pm, Sept. 13 at the Pearl River Branch Library, 64580 LA 41.
- 2 pm to 6 pm, Sept. 14 at the Lee Road Branch Library, 79213 LA 40.
- 2 pm to 6 pm, Sept. 22 at the Abita Springs Branch Library, 71683 Leveson St.
- 2 pm to 6 pm, Sept. 22 at the Folsom Branch Library, 82393 Railroad Ave.
All these events are free and open to adults. To register, visit stpl.bibliocommons.com/events.
In other news, the Friends of the Slidell Library Fall Concert series makes its return after a two-year pause. The first of four concerts sponsored by the Friends group is scheduled Sept. 7 when Bruce Daigrepont and his Cajun band will perform in the backyard of the Pearl River Branch, at 64580 LA 41. A Sept. 14 rain date has been set if needed. The concert is free and open to the public, but patrons should bring seating and food. Light refreshments will be served.
For more information, call the Pearl River Branch at (985) 863-5518, the Lacombe Branch at (985) 882-7858, the South Slidell Branch at (985) 781-0099, or the Slidell Branch at (985)-646 6470.