A brand new United States Football League, aka the USFL, launches its inaugural season in Birmingham, Alabama on Saturday, April 16 (4/16/2022), filling the spring football void during the NFL’s offseason.
It kicks off with the New Jersey Generals vs. the Birmingham Stallions at 7:30 pm on Saturday, which will be broadcast on local FOX and NBC channels, and can be streamed live on fuboTV, DirecTV Stream and other services. Full schedule below.
The eight-team league is split up into two divisions, North and South, and will run a 10-week season culminating in the USFL Championship on July 3. Unlike the NFL, the entirety of the season will be played in Birmingham, at Protective Stadium (home of the UAB Blazers) and Legion Field.
If this sounds vaguely familiar, it’s because this will be the fourth attempt to launch a new football league under the same name. And while the new USFL owns the same trademarks as the previous leagues, it has no direct affiliation with them.
Throughout the season, games will air on FOX, FS1, NBC, USA Network and NBC’s Peacock streaming service. Games later in the season are currently TBD. Here’s what you need to know to tune in to the season-opening weekend’s games.
What is the USFL opening weekend schedule?
All eight teams are playing opening weekend. All times ET.
Saturday, April 16
- New Jersey Generals vs. Birmingham Stallions, 7:30 pm on FOX, NBC. Stream on fuboTV, DirecTV Stream, Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV.
Sunday, April 17
- Houston Gamblers vs. Michigan Panthers, 12 pm pn NBC. Stream on fuboTV, Peacock Premium, DirecTV Stream, Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV.
- Philadelphia Stars vs. New Orleans Breakers, 4 pm on USA Network. Stream on fuboTV, Sling, DirecTV Stream, Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV.
- Tampa Bay Bandits vs. Pittsburgh Maulers, 8 pm on FS1. Stream on fuboTV, Sling, DirecTV Stream, Vidgo, Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV.
How can I stream USFL for FREE?
Cable subscribers can log in to FoxSports or NBC.com, or associated apps, to watch games on affiliated networks for free.
Cord cutters can sign up for free trials of fuboTV or YouTube TV to enjoy all four games during the free trial period.
What’s different about the USFL?
The USFL will tweak the rules you may be familiar with from the NFL. Here’s some of the big changes:
- Teams have more options for extra points after a touchdown: A field goal, 2-yard goal or 10-yard goal.
- USFL Replay Command will have full authority to overrule incorrect personal foul calls, and each coach gets one replay challenge.
- All kickoffs will be done from the 25-yard line; no kicking team member is allowed to line up farther back than the 1-yard line. The receiving team must have at least eight players between its 35- and 45-yard lines.
- Teams have two options to keep the ball after scoring: Onside kicks and a 4th-and-12 play from the 33-yard line.
- OT will be a best-of-three shootout from the 2-yard line.
- Former LA Rams coach Jeff Fisher will coach the Panthers
- Former Baylor University offensive coordinator Larry Fedora will coach the Breakers
- Louisiana Tech head coach Skip Holtz will coach the Stallions
- Former Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley will coach the Bandits
- Former Las Vegas Raiders running backs coach Kirby Wilson will coach the Maulers
- Former University of Arizona coach Kevin Sumlin will coach the Gamblers
- Former Ottawa Gee-Gees quarterbacks coach Bart Andrus will coach the Stars
- Former Seattle Dragons offensive coordinator Mike Riley will coach the Generals.
Can I be on the games?
Mobile sports betting is now legal in New York, which means you can now bet on USFL games from your phone. We’ve compiled some of the best introductory offers to help navigate your first bets from BetMGM, FanDuel, DraftKings, PointsBet, Caesars Sportsbook and BetRivers.
What is fuboTV?
FuboTV is an over-the-top internet live TV streaming service that offers more than 100 channels, like NFL Network, NBA TV, PAC 12 Networks and news, entertainment and local channels. It offers DVR storage space, and is designed for people who want to cut the cord, but don’t want to miss out on their favorite live TV and sports.
It also has its own fubo Sports Network, featuring original programming and exclusive live sports events.
FuboTV is accessible on Amazon Fire, Apple, Android, Chromecast, Roku and Apple TV.
How much does fuboTV cost?
The family package is $64.99 per month, and includes 120 channels, 250 hours of DVR space and can be used on three screens at once.
The fubo Elite package ($79.99 per month) offers more than 170 channels including Showtime.