In case you hadn’t guessed, football is pretty popular around Montgomery, and we’ve got a lot of ways to celebrate it. Get a jump on Labor Day, too, with The 10 for Aug. 29-Sept. 4, 2022.
ASU Labor Day Classic Week
College football fans: We’ve got Miles College coming to Montgomery to face Alabama State University on Saturday. Beyond that, there’s a huge week leading up to it at ASU:
- Monday: SGA Inauguration, 11 am
- Tuesday: Bama State Spirit 101 — All about that Ole Bama State Spirit, 6-8 pm
- Wednesday: Fried Chicken Wednesday Cafe Mixer, 11 am -1 pm
- Thursday: 37th Biennial NAA Convention (*Registered Alumni Only Event), 9 am to 1 pm, J. Garrick Hardy Student Center; a HBCU Panel (Student Event), 1 pm, Abernathy Education Building, J. Garrick Hardy Center; Pep Rally, 5:30 p.m., the Acadome Parking Lot
- Friday: NAA Golf Tournament 9 am at RTJ Prattville asunaagolf2021.eventbrite.com; It’s A Vibe Party (Student Event), 12:30 to 2:30 pm, J. Garrick Hardy Amphitheater; President’s Gala: A Benefit for ASU, 7 p.m. , Renaissance Montgomery, featuring Grammy-nominated singer Raheem DeVaughn. Proceeds to benefit strategic and student-focused initiatives of ASU.
- Saturday: Pre-Game Block Party featuring live entertainment on the STING STAGE, Noon to 4 pm, Harris Way; the Hornet Walk, featuring the ASU Football Team and the Mighty Marching Hornets Band, 2:30 to 3:15 pm at Harris Way; and the Labor Annual Day Classic Football Game, 5 pm, ASU Stadium. Tickets may be purchased by online at https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/team.asp?SponsorID=15836#.Yv_naezMKfV.
- This game is part of Montgomery’s HBCU Classic Weekend. Learn more online at hbcuclassicweekend.com.
Montgomery After Hours this weekend
Want some extra fun and food later in the evening after football? You’ve got a four-day weekend of it ahead in connection to the HBCU Classic Weekend games in Montgomery (Labor Day Classic at ASU and Red Tails Classic at Cramton Bowl). Starting at 8 pm on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the city is showingcasing its dining, retail and bars, which will be open late across the city.
Three nights of Afterglow Sound Stage kick off Thursday
More late night fun is ahead Thursday, Friday and Saturday in downtown Montgomery. In connection with HBCU Classic Weekend, the city has a downtown Afterglow Sound Stage, presented by the city’s Department of Cultural Affairs. This is happening in the city’s parking lot by Embassy Suites, the same place that Buckmasters recently held its bull riding event. At 9 o’clock nightly, see music performances, and visit vendors and food trucks.
Celebrate Star Wars and sorcery in the movies with the Biscuits
This week brings both sorcery and stars to downtown Montgomery as the Biscuits celebrate movies. The Montgomery Biscuits are in town this week, facing the Birmingham Barons at Riverwalk Stadium. Get tickets at biscuitsbaseball.com.
- Golden Biscuits Tuesday: Montgomery Biscuits baseball event at Riverwalk Stadium for senior fans, Tuesday at 6:35 pm
- Military Wednesday: Montgomery Biscuits baseball honors military with discounts and promotions, Riverwalk Stadium, Wednesday at 6:35 pm
- Movie T-Shirt Giveaway: Montgomery Biscuits giving away 1,000 T-shirts for ages 15 and up, Riverwalk Stadium, Thursday at 6:35 pm
- Wizard Night Wand Giveaway: Montgomery Biscuits giving away 1,000 wands to the first 1,000 fans of all ages, Riverwalk Stadium, Friday at 6:35 pm
- Star Wars Night & MAX Fireworks: Montgomery Biscuits celebrate Star Wars, Riverwalk Stadium, Saturday at 6:05 pm MAX Fireworks after the game.
- Princess Day with Team Poster Giveaway & Bark in the Park: Montgomery Biscuits invites guests to come dressed as their favorite princess. Team posters given to first 500 fans of all ages, Riverwalk Stadium, Sunday at 3:33 pm Leashed dogs welcome at the game.
Kickoff to Fall benefit tailgate party
Food, football and fun are ahead in downtown Montgomery on Thursday from 6 pm to 9 pm at Commerce Beerworks, 166 Commerce St. They’re holding a tailgate benefit party Magic Moments. This party is being hosted by the River Region Junior Board of Magic Moments, a wish-granting organization devoted exclusively to Alabama children who have been diagnosed with chronic life-threatening illnesses. Tickets for the tailgating party are $30 and include food, two drink tickets (beer, wine, or soft drinks), football on multiple screens, and live music by Soft Landing. Buy yours at magicmoments.org/kickoff-to-fall
Pre-Labor Day Blues Show
We’ve got a concert for the grown and sexy coming to the Montgomery Performing Arts Center on Friday. Put on your white clothing and come enjoy the night with Sir Charles Jones, Pokey Bear, Big Ro Williams, Cupid, Sir Duke and Mr. Campbell, with host MC Lightfoot. The concert gets started at 8 pm Tickets are $45-$65. Get them online at mpaconline.org.
Block’s No Prep Mayhem “Capital City”
Life’s a drag, but that’s a good thing at Montgomery’s drag strip, Capital City Motorsports Park, 2600 N. Belt Drive. On Friday and Saturday at Capital City Motorsports Park, 2600 N. Belt Drive, Montgomery. Friday Night: $5000 RWYB Shootout, $1500 Streetcar Shootout, $500 Foot Brake (free entry). Test tune and grudge. Saturday Night: $5000 Small Tire 28’s non; $200 Power Wheels (kid’s); $500 Foot Brake (free entry); $300 Junior. Test, tune and grudge. $25 tech card. Find out more by calling 334-279-9356.
Fall Brawl 100 at Montgomery Motor Speedway
It’s almost fall, and there’s definitely going to be a brawl, but it’ll be happening stock car racing style at the Montgomery Motor Speedway, 480 Booth Road, on Saturday. The Fall Brawl 100 features the Modifieds of Mayhem Tour, “Show me the MONEY” PLM 100, MoM 50, and Late Model Sportsman. Tickets are $20 for the grandstands. Seniors and military get in for $15, and kids, 6-12, are $5. http://www.montgomerymotorspeedway.org/
Red Tails Classic football honors Tuskegee Airmen
The Red Tails Classic on Sunday at Cramton Bowl is both a college football game and a tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen who fought in World War II. The day starts at Cramton Bowl at 2 pm with a fan fest, followed by a Tuskegee University pep rally at 4:30 pm Then at 6 pm, Tuskegee will take on Fort Valley State University, in a game that will also air on ESPNU. Tickets are $20 for general admission. Get more info and link to tickets at hbcuclassicweekend.com.
Labor Day BBQ Cook-Off in Prattville
Have you got some mad holiday grill skills? Show them off at a BBQ cook-off Sunday at 6 pm at Hunting Ridge Church of God, 305 Selma Highway, Prattville. They want to see who can cook the best barbecue, and it can be ANY kind of barbecue you want to cook! https://allevents.in/prattville/labor-day-cook-off/200022956761659
Contact Montgomery Advertiser reporter Shannon Heupel at email@example.com.