Hello again, Des Moines! Important update: You all, as readers, have made the Des Moines Daily so successful that it is my honor to announce the next stage of the newsletter. Patch is Looking for a local writer and entrepreneur to take the helm of the Des Moines Daily. Although I have loved getting to know this community, we want to pass the torch to someone truly local to write about Des Moines long term. So if you’re interested in earning extra income while making this newsletter a more valuable resource for your neighbors, learn more and apply here.
First, today’s weather:
Showers of rain and snow. High: 43 Low: 31.
Here are the top 2 stories today in Des Moines:
- A new brewery that will open in Des Moines hopes to save the iconic signs leftover at its location. The brewery is moving next to the old Chevrolet dealership and there is a leftover Crescent Chevrolet sign on the building. The city of Des Moines is currently reviewing a request to consider the sign as a landmark. The brewery is set to open this summer and will also include a taproom. (KCCI Des Moines)
- Matt Smith has been hired as an interim superintendent of Des Moines Public Schools. The Des Moines school board made this decision unanimously and without discussion. Smith previously served as the principal starting in 2010 and was named associate superintendent in 2018. Smith plans on focusing on increasing student achievement and making connections with community members. (Des Moines Register)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. We all know that Ring is the leader in video doorbells for home security. But did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that is getting raves from consumer electronic experts?
To learn more about Ring Alarm Pro, the system CNET called “the future of home security,” or to build your own custom system, visit Ring here.
- Anne Shimerdla, President/CEO of Blank Park Zoo is excited to present the Eggstravaganza at the zoo Saturday, April 16th. This event is FREE with regular zoo admission and involves enrichment activities for both the animals AND those in attendance! Enjoy an all zoo egg hunt and pictures with the Easter Bunny! (Local 5 – weareiowa.com)
- Union Omaha kicked off the season Tuesday night taking on Des Moines in the Open Cup. After a mostly tied-up game, the Owls ended up winning their season opener, 2-1. (KETV Omaha)
- Films are, by their nature, immersive experiences. For this series, Curatorial Manager and film buff Laura Burkhalter at Des Moines Art Center has selected movies that explore immersion through genre, aesthetics, and methods of worldbuilding. Each film is a drop-in event, no registration is required. See you this Sunday, April 10 at 1:30 pm in Levitt Auditorium for the . (Facebook)
Loving the Des Moines Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
You’re officially in the loop for today! See you all tomorrow morning for another update.
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a copywriter, editor, SEO specialist, and marketing director for various digital media companies. He currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.